When you're feeling a bit nutty, these Almond Joy Cookies will hit the spot! Made with a super soft chocolate cookie base and topped with sweet coconut, Ghirardelli Chocolate, and crunchy Almonds, they're perfect for movie nights, an afternoon snack, or even your holiday cookie platter!
These easy Almond Joy Cookies are a creative cookie form of an Almond Joy bar.
If you know me, you know that I LOVE Chocolate and my chocolate cookie must be thick, rich and super soft and tender. Which is why I love my Chocolate Pudding Cookie Recipe.
I'm using that recipe for my base when making Almond Joy Cookies because I want a good solid cookie base. But have some fun and use a Coconut Extract if you want. It will enhance that coconut flavor even more.
So I've gone for a soft chocolate cookie base, made with a Chocolate Fudge Pudding Mix to make it extra chocolatey and extra fudgy.
Then I've topped the cookies with a sweet Shredded Coconut topping AND topped this with even MORE chocolate - plus some almonds for that classic crunch, and some flaky sea salt for added lip-smacking flavor!
This Almond Joy Cookies recipe is so easy, and you can change up the flavors to make your cookies just right for you. Add more nutty flavor, or use a different kind of chocolate.
These homemade cookies are chocolatey and decadent, they're perfect for birthday parties, or during the holiday season.
Wet Ingredients. Butter, Vanilla Extract, Egg, Sweetened Condensed Milk
Dry Ingredients. All Purpose Flour, Granulated Sugar, Brown Sugar, Baking Soda, Salt, Cocoa Powder Dutch Process, Chocolate Fudge Instant Pudding Mix, Sweetened Shredded Coconut
Toppings. Ghiradelli Chocolate Wafers, Whole Almonds, Flaked Sea Salt
How to Make Almond Joy Cookies
Almond Joy Cookies
In a large bowl using a hand mixer or in a bowl of a stand mixer cream together softened Butter, Granulated Sugar, and Brown Sugar.
Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed, and cream together all ingredients for 2-3 minutes. The butter mixture will turn light and fluffy.
Add Vanilla Extract and Eggs and continue to cream together. Continue to scrape the sides of the mixing bowl as needed.
Gradually add dry ingredients of All Purpose Flour, Chocolate Fudge Pudding, Baking Soda, and Salt to the butter mixture until combined. Do not over-mix.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes
Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F. Prepare 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
Using a medium size #24 Cookie Scoop cookie dough balls onto the prepared baking sheet at least 2 inches apart.
You can of course use a smaller cookie scoop. Just make sure to adjust the baking time down by a minute so you don't over bake these fantastic cookies!
Bake cookies in your preheated oven for 9-11 minutes or until the edges are set and the center is no longer glossy. Do not overbake.
Using the back of a teaspoon press a well into the top of each baked cookie.
Pressing a well into the tops of the hot baked cookies creates a space for the sweet coconut mixture.
Allow cookies to cool for at least 5 minutes on the hot tray before moving them to a wire cooling rack to finish cooling to room temperature.
Almond Joy Coconut Topping
In a separate bowl add Sweetened Shredded Coconut with Sweetened Condensed Milk and stir to combine.
Place a heaping spoonful of the coconut mixture on top of each cooled cookie in the impression left earlier in the cookie.
Add 3 almonds on top of each mound of shredded coconut as a garnish with a sprinkle of sea salt too.
Melt Ghiradelli Chocolate Wafers in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds and stir the wafers. Heat for additional 30 seconds and stir until smooth.
Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of melted chocolate over the coconut mixture on each cookie. I have drizzled the chocolate over the top because I think it looks pretty. Just snip off a corner of a ZipLoc Bag for a quick and easy zig zag drizzle.
Allow chocolate to cool and harden before serving or storing them.
Storage & Freezing
Storage: Once cookies are fully cooled, store cooled cookies in an airtight container or Ziploc Bag. Cookies are best if enjoyed within 2-3 days but will last up to a week when properly stored.
Freezing: Cookies can be stored in a freezer-safe container or Ziploc freezer bag and frozen for up to 3 months. Place parchment paper between each cookie to prevent sticking.
Substitutions & Variations
- Chocolate Chips. Add 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips to the cookie dough before baking.
- Extract Flavor. Substitute Almond Extract or Coconut Extract for Vanilla Extract for a slightly different flavor.
- Butter. I use salted butter for all my cookie recipes, if you only have unsalted butter, add ¼ teaspoon salt to the cookie dough.
- Almonds. Use whole almonds for a crunchier texture, or you can use sliced almonds if you prefer.
What makes a good cookie? Does it have a soft center and crispy edges, and is it chewy? Each of these makes a great quality cookie. To make perfect cookies every time here are some pro tips.
To find out more, check out my Pro Tips Guide for making the best cookies every time!
Baking is a science and adding too much or too little of any of the ingredients will alter the recipe. Weighing and measuring dry ingredients properly makes a world of difference. Investing in a kitchen scale is ideal. When a kitchen scale is not available, make sure to stir and lift ingredients before scooping them into a measuring cup.
|All Purpose Flour
Using a cookie scoop keeps each ball of cookie dough the same size, which is essential for baking. This recipe will make 18 cookies using a size #24 Cookie Scoop.
You can use an ungreased cookie sheet if you prefer. I like to use Parchment Paper to line baking sheets or a Silicone Mat for easy cleanup.
Every oven heats a little differently. I recommend doing a test batch of 1-3 cookies to test the baking time for a perfectly baked cookie before baking the remaining dough.
Cookies can be left in cookie scoop shape to make a nice rounded cookie or flatten cookie dough with fingers for a more pressed cookie look.
Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a minute or two before moving them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Kitchen Scale. I use this for accuracy in measuring and it's a lifesaver when it comes to consistent baking
- Wire Rack for cooling cookies. I like to have at least 2 cooling racks
- Mixing Bowls. A Large Mixing Bowl for mixing ingredients and small and medium mixing bowls for other ingredients
- Cookie Sheet. Most recipes will take 2 batches to bake. It's great to have multiple baking sheets available
- Parchment Paper or Silicone Baking Mat. Line the Cookie Sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup and to prevent sticking.
- Cookie Scoop. A small #60 Cookie Scoop or a Medium Cookie Scoop #50 are great choices for uniform drops of cookie dough.
- Storage Container. An Airtight Container to store cookies or a Ziploc Bag works great too.
- Additional supplies. Measuring Cups and Measuring Spoons along with a silicone spatula are all helpful.
Have you tried this Almond Joy Cookie recipe?
Let me know what you thought of this recipe! Tag @bestcookierecipes on social media so I can see how great your cookies turned out! I would also love to read your comments below. Let me know what you think of these cookies. It really does help!
More Delicious Cookie Recipes
- Salted Caramel Bars
- Colorful Classic Sugar Cookie Bars
- Hot Cocoa Cookies
- Butterbeer Cookies
- Oreo Cheesecake Cookies
- Anded Mint Cookies
Almond Joy Cookies
- 1 Cup Butter Softened
- ¾ Cup Brown Sugar 160g
- ¼ Cup Granulated Sugar 50g
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs Large
- 2 Cup All Purpose Flour 240g
- ¼ Cup Cocoa Powder Dutch Process 30g
- 1 Box Chocolate Fudge Pudding Instant Pudding 3.9oz Box
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
Almond Joy Coconut Topping
- 1 ½ Cup Sweetened Shredded Coconut
- ⅓ Cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 Cup Ghiradelli Chocolate Wafers
- 1 Cup Almonds Whole about 54 almonds
- Flaked Sea Salt
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer or in a bowl of a Stand Mixer cream together softened butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- Scrape sides of bowl as needed to cream together all ingredients for 2-3 minutes. Butter mixture will turn light and fluffy
- Add vanilla extract and eggs and continue to cream together. Scrape sides of mixing bowl as needed.
- Gradually add dry ingredients of All Purpose Flour, Chocolate Fudge Pudding, Baking Soda, and Salt to butter mixture until combined. Do not over mix.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes
- Preheat Oven to 350F Degrees. Prepare 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Using a medium size #24 Cookie Scoop place cookie dough on baking sheet at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake at 350 F Degrees for 9-11 minutes or until edges are set and center is no longer glossy. Do not over bake.
- Using the back of a teaspoon press a divet into the top of each baked cookie.
- Allow cookies to cool for at least 5 minutes on hot pan before moving to a wire cooling rack to finish cooling.
Almond Joy Coconut Topping
- In a separate bowl combine Sweetened Shredded Coconut with Sweetened condensed milk and stir to combine ingredients.
- Place heaping spoonful on top of each cooled cookie in the impressed left earlier in the cookie.
- Melt Ghiradelli Chocolate Wafers in microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds and stir wafers. Heat for additional 30 seconds and stir until smooth.
- Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of chocolate over coconut mixture on each cookie
- Add 3 almond on top of each cookie as garnish with a sprinkle of sea salt
- Allow chocolate to cool and harden before storing cookies
- Once cookies are fully cooled, store cooled cookies in an airtight container or ZipLoc Bag. Cookies are best if enjoyed within 2-3 days but will last up to a week when properly stored.
Cookie Scoop SizesThis recipe will make 18 Cookies using a size #24 Cookie Scoop.
BakingCookies can be left in cookie scoop shape to make a nice rounded cookie or flatten cookie dough with fingers for a more pressed cookie look.
Additions/SubstitutionsChocolate Chips. Add 1 ½ cups semi sweet chocolate chips to cookie dough before baking. Extract. Substitute Almond Extract or Coconut Extract for Vanilla Extract
All nutrition values are approximate and calculated by a plugin and are provided as a courtesy. Adding or subtracting ingredients will change the nutritional value.