Lemon Curd Cookies are so fun! This easy to make recipe for a sugar shortbread Thumbprint Cookie filled with an easy lemon curd filling dusted in powdered sugar. It's a delicious cookie recipe with all the details in the recipe card below.Welcome to #LemonWeek 2022 hosted by Lynn from Fresh April Flours and Rebecca from Devour Dinner. This week is sponsored by Rodelle and La Tourangelle. I may have received product samples from these sponsors to help in the creation of my recipes. All opinions are my own. Come join me and my fellow Lemon Week bloggers as we bring you recipes from appetizers to drinks to entrées and desserts!
Pucker up those lips for a delicious Lemon Curd Dessert Cookie you will want to make again and again.
If you love lemons like I do, then make sure to try my Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake Recipe, or my Lemon Sour Cream Pie recipe. Both are viewer favorites and spectacular.
Lemon Thumbprint Cookies will always win the prize for the best cookies and will definitely curb any appetite too. Making easy lemon curd is also very simple.
Check out how I made this lemon curd over on Devour Dinner. It has all the steps to making this easy filling.
Thumbprint cookies are a buttery shortbread cookies of sorts and topped with tart lemon curd. Typically made from a cookie dough that is a bit stiffer to hold that thumbprint shape so you have a place to fill. Makes sense, right?
Of course this recipe could also be used and filled with jam too. There are so many wonderful variations, you can't go wrong!
The center of each cookie is filled and then dusted with powdered sugar on top of the curd.
Lemon dessert recipes like this lemony cookies recipe are favorite recipes. They are refreshing and a flavor everyone loves.
Dry Ingredients. All Purpose Flour, Granulated Sugar, Powdered Sugar, and salt
Egg, Butter and Extract. Always use room temperature Eggs and Butter when baking and a quality Almond Extract.
Other. Lemon Zest
How to make Lemon Curd Cookies
In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer or using a stand mixer cream butter and sugar. Creaming butter and sugar should take 3-4 minutes. The longer these ingredients cream together the lighter and fluffier they will be.
Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl down multiple times. I find where this is such a small batch recipe, that it's important to scrape the sides of the bowl a couple of times.
Add egg yolk and Almond Extract and cream for an additional 1-2 minutes.
Gradually add flour and a pinch of salt. Mixture will be a thick cookie dough. Exactly how you want it! Cover dough with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Set yourself up for success and use a preheated oven set to 350 degrees for best results. Take the time a prepared baking sheet grease with baking spray or use a parchment paper liner while dough is chilling. I've used a large baking sheet.
Using a small cookie scoop 1 inch in diameter. Scoop cookie dough balls and roll into lemon infused sugar.
Place cookie dough 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Using the back of a measuring teaspoon, press gently into each cookie leaving a well impression. As the cookies bake this well will flatten out a little bit. That is normal.
This batch will make about 24 cookies. Bake for 7-9 minutes. Edges will be set but will NOT be golden in color.
Using a measuring teaspoon gently press in center of each cooking creating a well for lemon curd. Allow cookies to cool on pan for 1-2 minutes before moving to cooling rack to cool completely.
Carefully spoon or use a piping bag with the corner snipped and place about 1 teaspoon of tangy homemade Lemon Curd on each cookie. Dust lightly with powdered sugar.
I find it easiest to use a fine mesh strainer to lightly dust cookies. Enjoy!
How to Make Lemon Curd
Making homemade lemon curd is easy and deliciously fantastic! It really is easy with step by step directions. The lemon curd recipe I used and all the steps is on my sister site Devour Dinner. Please check it out! You could also use a lemon pudding or a jarred lemon curd.
However, take the extra time and make a batch fresh because it is out of this world delicious!
It's best to make the lemon curd before making the cookies so that the curd can cool properly.
How to fill Lemon Custard Cookies
There are a couple of ways to fill Lemon Curd buttery Thumbprint Cookie. You can easily use a small spoon and gently place a scoop into the thumbprint impression in the baked cookie.
Using a second spoon to push the curd into the well will keep your fingers clean.
I also like to place lemon curd into a frosting bag and snip the corner of the bag. This allows me to easily fill each cookie without any mess.
Using about a teaspoon of lemon curd is all you need. It's a delicious balance of sweet and tart in every bite. The cookies have crisp edges and are soft and delicate with the creamy lemon curd.
Lemon Curd Uses
I'm in heaven thinking about all the ways to use Lemon Curd in recipes. Mmmm, my mouth is watering. Lemon Curd can be used in so many ways. Filling Crepes is delicious, or in Stuffed French Toast will blow your mind. It's also wonderful swirled into Yogurt. Leftover lemon curd can be used in so many ways.
Even using as a spread on toast or in a warm croissant is also fantastic too. And let's not forget to use in a layer cake or fill cupcakes. And if all else fails, enjoying lemon curd with a spoon is always welcomed in my home.
Try lemon curd in a lemon meringue pie or even over vanilla ice cream.
How to Store
I'm often asked the question "Do Lemon Curd Cookies need to be stored in the refrigerator?" and the answer is YES! Store cookies in an airtight container. Place a sheet of parchment paper between layers of cookies and store in refrigerator.
Cookies will last up to 5 days. But I prefer to enjoy these cookies within 2-3 days. I find the cookies become very soft the longer they sit in the refrigerator and can become crumbly.
Freeze. Cookies can also be frozen for up to 3 months when sealed in an air tight container.
Sponsors for Lemon Week
I loved receiving product from both our sponsors. Rodelle provided extract and I found their extract to be a great high quality extract that was rich in flavor and I loved the added taste it added to my cookies.
La Tourangelle prides themselves in making high quality products used in baking. Their baking spray is fantastic. I've used their baking spray as well as avocado oil which I love when using my Air Fryer.
Monday #LemonWeek Recipes
- Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf by Fresh April Flours
- Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Feta by Palatable Pastime
- Lemon Raspberry Cheesecake No Churn Ice Cream by Blogghetti
- Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Egg Lemon Soup with Spinach by Art Of Natural Living
- Lemon Shortbread Bars by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Lemon Butter Salmon by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Lemon Curd by Devour Dinner
- Lemon Curd Cookies by Best Cookie Recipes
- Lemon Donuts by The Freshman Cook
- Lemon Fruit Dip by Simply Inspired Meals
- Lemonade Bundt Cake by The Fresh Cooky
- Lemon Ginger Chicken Thighs by A Day In The Life On The Farm
- Gluten-Free Lemon Almond Cake by The Spiffy Cookie
- Creamy Lemon Basil Shrimp Pasta by An Affair From The Heart
- Lemon Cupcakes by Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
- 15 Minute Lemon Pasta by Jen Around The World
- Lemon Cheesecake by Lemon Blossoms
- Lemon Smoothie by Home Cooked Harvest
- Aromatic Lemon Chicken by That Recipe
- Lemon Pound Cake by The Redhead Baker
- Lemon Muffins with Lemon Drizzle by Jonesin’ For A Taste
- Lemon Garlic Pasta by Magical Ingredients
- ½ Cup Butter Softened
- ¾ Cup Granulated Sugar Divided
- 1 Cup Flour Plus 2 Tablespoons
- ½ teaspoon Almond Extract
- 1 Egg Yolk Large
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 2 Tablespoons Powdered Sugar
- ½ Cup Lemon Curd
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 1 Cup Sugar 200g
- ½ Cup Lemon Juice Freshly squeezed
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Zest
- ½ Cup Butter Cold
- In a mixing bowl or using a stand mixer cream butter and ½ cup sugar. Creaming butter and sugar should take 3-4 minutes. Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl down multiple times.
- Add egg yolk and Almond Extract and cream for an additional 1-2 minutes
- Gradually add flour and a pinch of salt. Mixture will be a thick cookie dough.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Combine ¼ Cup Sugar with 1 teaspoon lemon zest and mix together.
- preheat oven to 350 degrees. Take the time to grease a cookie sheet with baking spray or use a parchment paper liner
- Using a small cookie scoop 1 inch in diameter. Scoop cookie dough balls and roll into lemon infused sugar.
- Place cookie dough 2 inches apart on baking sheet.
- Using the back of a measuring teaspoon, press gently into each cookie leaving a well impression.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes. Edges will be set but will NOT be golden in color.
- Using a measuring teaspoon gently press in center of each cooking creating a well for lemon curd. Allow cookies to cool on pan for 1-2 minutes before moving to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Carefully spoon or use a piping bag with the corner snipped and place about 1 teaspoon of Lemon Curd on each cookie.
- Dust lightly with powdered sugar.
- Combine Egg Yolks with Sugar in a double boiler. Whisk ingredients together
- Heat over a medium/low heat continually whisking ingredients so eggs do not scramble
- Add fresh lemon juice and lemon zest and continue whisking.
- Slowly bring temperature to just barely a boil. The edges will begin to bubble. This can take 10-15 minutes. Adjust heat as needed.
- Remove from heat and add cold butter. Whisk until fully melted and combined
- Pour Lemon Curd into a container placing plastic wrap on top and allowing to cool.
Lynn @ Fresh April Flours
Lip-smackin' good! I love the addition of the lemon curd!!
Grab 2, you won't regret it!
We found a new favorite cookie. WOW! The lemon curd and infused sugar on the cookie make this cookie go WOW in your mouth.
I love everything about these cookies. Perfect for taking to a Memorial Day pot luck.
Oh they will be delicious, everyone will love them
Simply Inspired Meals
These look fantastic, little lemon curd thumbprint cookies! Must try.
Definitely a must try recipe!
Karen's Kitchen Stories
I actually have some leftover lemon curd just calling for a recipe!
You will love it!
WOW! These cookies look delicious on their own but putting the curd in them really elevates them!
I love the Thumbprint cookie and so many fun ways to add to them!
I would eat all the cookies in this batch. I love lemon curd.
They are hard to resist
Oh these cookies are the lemony-ist! Love that they are rolled in lemon sugar AND topped with lemon curd -- my new favorite cookie!
You are right! Sweet Tart and Tangy! Delish
What a delicious idea for a cookie! The lemon curd is my favorite part and I'll be making these for many summer days ahead! Can't wait 🙂
The lemon curd is fantastic! Enjoy!
So pretty! I love the curd and shortbread is a favorite for cookies in our house!
I have to agree, it's fantastic!
This lemon curd has got my mouth watering! These look goooood!!
They are fantastic Tristin! Enjoy
Lemon curd cookies....so good! But I love lemon curd with a spoon!
You and me both!
These are so cute and elegant!
Thank you Inger!
These are really over the top! They might become my new favorite.
I sure hope so!
I love buttery cookies with lemon curd- it is the best. The lemon curd looks positively scrumptious!
Thank you Ashley, these cookies are spectacular!
These cookies are SO amazing! Love the lemon curd thumbprint version! YUM flavors! I would finish up the entire batch.