Get ready to WOW your tastebuds with these Snickerdoodle Sandwich Cookies filled with a cream cheese frosting and drizzle of sea salt caramel. I'm licking my lips just thinking about this cookie sandwich. Call it a Snickerdoodle Whoopie Pie if you must, but this cookie is delish!
I love Snickerdoodles. In fact, I can't resist a good soft and chewy snickerdoodle cookie recipe. I've upped my game with this recipe and the family approves. Especially my picky eater who took the bag to share with his friends.
Loaded with cinnamon and sugar this big snickerdoodle cookie recipe is a keeper recipe if you ask me. I love the balance of flavors with a perfectly baked cookie that is chewy on the inside and not too thick. You can easily get a good bit without it being too big to handle.
Shopping List for Snickerdoodle Sandwich Cookies
Dry Ingredients. cookie: All Purpose Flour, Granulated Sugar, Cinnamon, Cream of Tartar, and Baking Soda. Frosting: Powdered Sugar
Fats. Butter and Cream Cheese, Milk.
Additional Ingredients. Eggs, Vanilla Extract, Sea Salted Caramel Syrup
How to make Snickerdoodle Cookie Sandwiches
Let's start by making Snickerdoodle Cookies as that is needed to make the sandwich cookies. The cookies are easy to make and you will want to taste one I'm sure. Just make sure you have an even number of cookies so you can make sandwiches out of them!
In a large mixing bowl cream Butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Cream for about 2-3 minutes before adding egg and Vanilla Extract. Continue to cream until everything is combined.
In a separate bowl combine All Purpose Flour, Cream of Tartar and Baking Soda together. Gradually add dry ingredients to butter mixture making sure cookie dough is fully combined before adding more flour.
In a small bowl combine remaining sugar with cinnamon. Adjust cinnamon to your liking as necessary.
Using a medium cookie scoop and roll into Cinnamon Sugar Mixture. Place rolled cookies dough balls onto prepared lined baking sheet with parchment paper or greased with cooking spray and allow 2 inches space between cookies for spreading.
Bake in a preheat oven at 375 Degrees for 9-11 minutes or until edges are slightly golden in color. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for a couple minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
Cookies will be crispy on the outside and a soft chewy texture on the inside. Allow cookies to fully cool before making into sandwich.
How to make Cream Cheese Frosting
In a bowl combine cream cheese and butter and cream together until smooth. Add Powdered Sugar and mix together. Mixture will be crumbly at first and then pull together to become very thick.
Add vanilla extract and mix thoroughly. Then add a little milk at a time until desired consistency is reached.
Place frosting in a piping bag and snip corner to pipe onto a cookie.
Making Cookie Sandwiches
Now comes the fun part. Let's make the cookie sandwiches! You will need cooled cookies, the cream cheese frosting and Sea Salt Caramel Sauce.
Pipe a circle of frosting onto half of the cookies and drizzle caramel sauce in the middle and on top of the frosting. Then top with a cookie.
They are fun to eat fresh where the frosting will squeeze out the sides but I do enjoy them chilled too.
Store cookies in a sealed container the refrigerator for up to a week. Cookies are best enjoyed within 2-3 days
Frosting for Snickerdoodle Cookies
I love and I mean LOVE cream cheese frosting on Snickerdoodle cookies. It's sweet but not too sweet and it has a great texture to hold up a good sandwich cookie.
There are other recipes that use a marshmallow cream frosting which is very tasty. However, the combination is so sweet it's a total sugar overload in my book.
Pro Baking Tips
Measuring Ingredients. I will always default to weighing and measuring dry ingredients when possible. My cookies always turn out perfectly when properly measured.
Baking Sheet. I love to use parchment paper on baking sheets. It's an easy clean up. A well greased cookie sheet will also work fine.
Baking. Do not over bake. Of course that is a given. But what is the perfect timing to remove from oven? Cookies are done with cracked edges are set. On a chocolate cookie that can be difficult to determine, and you will not see any golden edges.
Room Temperature. Always use room temperature Ingredients. Allow Butter and Egg to sit on counter for 1 hour to soften. Do not over soften butter. It turns to mush and will not produce nice cookies.
Cookie Scoop. I use a medium cookie scoop size #24. this helps ensure each cookie is the same size and shape.
Snickerdoodle Sandwich Cookies
- 1 Cup Butter Softened
- 2 ½ Cup Granulated Sugar 400g *Divided
- 3 Cup All Purpose Flour 360g
- 2 Eggs Large
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- Sea Salt Caramel Syrup
Cream Cheese Frosting
- ¼ cup Butter Softened
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese Softened
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1-3 tablespoons Milk
- Preheat Oven to 375 Degrees
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray
- In a mixing bowl beat butter on medium to high speed for 2 minutes and add 2 cups Sugar and continue to whip for 2 more minutes
- Add eggs and vanilla extract and cream until combined and mixture is light and fluffy
- In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients of All Purpose Flour, Cream of Tartar and Baking Soda. Mix to combine.
- Add half flour mixture to butter mixture and mix together. When fully combined add remaining flour mixture.
- Using a Medium size #24 cookie scoop shape into cookie dough balls.
- In a separate bowl combine ½ teaspoon Cinnamon and ½ cup Sugar together. Roll cookie dough balls into mixture and fully coat.
- Place cookie dough balls on baking sheet allowing 2 inches between cookies for baking
- Bake at 375 Degrees for 9-11 minutes. Each oven cooks a little differently. Cookies are done with edges are just slightly golden. Do not over bake.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for a couple minutes before moving to cooling racks.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a large bowl or stand mixer combine cream cheese and butter and mix together. Scrape sides of bowl as needed.
- Add powdered sugar and mix. Frosting will be very thick.
- Add vanilla extract and combine. Slowly the frosting will thin down a little bit.
- Add milk a little at a time. I use about 1 tablespoon milk for a perfect thick cheesecake like filling.
- Using a piping bag or a ziploc bag snip corner off of bag and pipe frosting onto cookie. Make a swirl around the outside of the cookie leaving the center with some holes
- Fill holes with Sea Salt Caramel Syrup and drizzle on frosting. Place cookie on top to make a sandwich
- Store cookies in refrigerator until ready to serve
How to Store CookiesCookies should be stored in a Zip-Loc bag or sealed container in refrigerator for up to a week. Cookies are best enjoyed within 2-3 days. Freeze Cookies by placing in a sealed container and removing as much air as possible. Freeze for up to 3 months. To eat, allow cookies to thaw at room temperature.
All nutrition values are approximate and calculated by a plugin and are provided as a courtesy. Adding or subtracting ingredients will change the nutritional value.