Chocolate chip cheesecake bars are one of my cheesecake bars to whip up all year round. Made with homemade chocolate chip cookie dough that is paired with a creamy cheesecake filling and baked to golden perfection.
Slice into these decadent bars and serve them up for an after-dinner dessert this week.
Dress up your cookie trays, take it to your next bake sale, or even whip up these cheesecake cookie bars for your holiday entertainment. Soft, chewy, and melt-in-your-mouth bars that are filled with the cream cheese layer swirled through the bars.
You might also want to try out this citrus version! These are lemon cheesecake bars so they are a totally different flavor combination but equally delicious.
This chocolate chip cheesecake bars recipe is above the rest as it uses homemade cookie dough, to truly enhance the flavor. No store-bought cookie dough is used here. Don't sleep on these easy cheesecake bars, you will love these decadent bars.
Shopping List of Ingredients
Wet Ingredients. Butter, Egg, Vanilla, Cream Cheese.
Dry Ingredients. Brown Sugar, Granulated Sugar, Salt, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Cornstarch, All Purpose Flour
Additional Ingredients. Chocolate Chips and Caramel Bits.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars
Start by preheating the oven and preparing your 9x9 baking dish by spraying it with cooking spray. You can also line it with parchment paper.
Cut your cold butter into cubes and then cream it together with the granulated sugar. This takes 2-3 minutes. With a paddle attachment in a stand mixer or electric mixer start on medium-high and whip until it lightens in color and becomes fluffy.
Next, add in the egg and vanilla and whip again. Make sure to scrape down the sides.
Add in the brown sugar and whip again for another 2-3 minutes.
Then in a medium bowl, you will add the dry ingredients. Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix to fully combine.
Once the batter is mixed fold in the chocolate chips and the caramel bits. Now set this cookie dough aside
How to make Cream Cheese Layer
In a large bowl, you will cream the sugar, egg, and softened cream cheese. Mix this until smooth.
Tip: Do not try to soften cream cheese in the microwave, it tends to get really soft fast and will make your cream cheese layer fall flat. Take the time to allow it to come to room temperature naturally by sitting on the counter for 1 hour.
Next press half the cookie dough into the baking sheet pan. Work the dough to the edges and fill in the gaps. I like to drop spoonfuls of cookie dough in the pan and then press it all together.
Spoon the cheesecake batter on top of the cookie layer and spread evenly over the entire pan. Then sprinkle with Caramel Bits.
Now the fun part. Finally drop tiny spoonfuls of chocolate chip cookie dough on the cheesecake layer to cover the top. And for extra measure sprinkle a few more chocolate chips right on top. It makes for a visually pleasing top later.
It's okay if it's not perfectly covered. It holes will allow the cheesecake layer to pop up and mix throughout.
Bake the dessert bars as directed. Each oven bakes a little bit differently so make sure to watch your oven so bars do not over bake.
Bars are done when the tops and edges have turned golden brown. Remove from oven and allow bars to fully cool for an hour or more.
I find it's best to chill Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars before slicing.
Storage and Freezing
Due to the cream cheese mixture, these chocolate chip cookie cheesecake bars need to be refrigerated. Store in an airtight container for up to 4-5 days.
You can also freeze these cookie bars if you want. Simply store in a freezer-friendly container for 3-4 months. When you are ready to eat simply thaw in the fridge overnight, or defrost in the microwave for a quick thaw.
Substitution and Variations
- Add a layer of graham crackers or graham cracker crumbs on top of the first layer of cookie dough. Spread to an even layer before you add the cheesecake mixture.
- Instead of caramel bits, you can drizzle with a little caramel sauce.
- Use dark chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, or other flavors of chocolate chips.
- Do half peanut butter chips and half mini chocolate chips for the cookie bars.
Pro Baking Tips
Baking is a science, and adding too much or too little of any of the ingredients will alter the recipe. Weighing and measuring dry ingredients properly makes a world of difference. Investing in a kitchen scale is ideal. When a kitchen scale is not available, make sure to stir and lift ingredients before scooping them into a measuring cup.
|All Purpose Flour||1 Cup||4½ Ounces||120 Grams|
|Bread Flour||1 Cup||4½ Ounces||120 Grams|
|Granulated Sugar||1 Cup||7 Ounces||200 Grams|
|Brown Sugar||1 Cup||7½ Ounces||213 Grams|
|Confectionary Sugar||1 Cup||4 Ounces||113 Grams|
I highly recommend using a stand mixer or a hand mixer for whipping up this cookie dough batter as well as the cream cheese filling.
It is going to ensure you get that creamed butter and sugar for the cookie dough and a smooth batter for the cheesecake mixture.
Lining Your Square Baking Pan
If you want to slice your bars into even squares. Lining your pan with parchment paper will make it easy to remove once the bars are cooled.
Then with a sharp knife, you will cut a clean line. I find cleaning the knife between cuts helps to ensure nice clean edges.
Make sure you allow your cookie cheesecake bars to cool for an hour on a cooling rack before you cover and refrigerate.
This is going to allow the cheesecake layer to be set properly once it is refrigerated.
Have you tried Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake Bars?
Let me know what you think of this recipe! Tag @bestcookierecipes on social media so I can see how great your cookies turned out! I would also love to read your comments below. Let me know what you think of these cookies. It really does help!
Favorite Kitchen Tools
- Kitchen Scale. I use this for accuracy in measuring and it's a life saver when it comes to consistent baking
- Wire Rack for cooling cookies. I like to have at least 2 cooling racks
- Mixing Bowls. A Large Mixing Bowl for mixing ingredients and small and medium mixing bowls for other ingredients
- Cookie Sheet. Most recipes will take 2 batches to bake. It's great to have multiple baking sheets available
- Parchment Paper or Silicone Baking Mat. Line Cookie Sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up and to prevent sticking.
- Cookie Scoop. A small #60 Cookie Scoop or a Medium Cookie Scoop #50 are great choices for uniform drops of cookie dough.
- Storage Container. An Airtight Container to store cookies or ZipLoc Bags work great too.
- Additional supplies. Measuring Cups and Measuring Spoons along with silicone spatula are all helpful
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake Bars
Cookie Dough Layer
- ½ Cup Butter Cold cut into cubes
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar 106g
- ¼ Cup White Sugar 50g
- 1 Egg Large
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¼ teaspooon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 4 teaspoon Cornstarch
- 1 ½ Cup All Purpose Flour 180g
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips Semi Sweet or Milk Chocolate
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese Softened
- 1 Egg Large
Optional Caramel Layer
- ½ Cup Caramel Bits (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F Degrees. Line 9x9 baking dish with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray
- Cut cold Butter into cubes, and cream together Butter and Granulated Sugar in a large mixing bowl until fluffy. This will take about 2-3 minutes on medium/high speed with a hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Add Egg and Vanilla Extract and cream until light and fluffy. Scrape sides of bowl as needed to include all ingredients together.
- Mix in Brown Sugar and continue to cream for 2-3 additional minutes.
- Gradually add All Purpose Flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, and Salt to the butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Stir Chocolate Chips into cookie dough and set cookie dough aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine softened butter, egg and ½ cup granulated sugar.
- Cream ingredients together until smooth
Layer Bar Cookies
- Press ½ of cookie dough mixture into bottom of 9x9 inch prepared baking dish.
- Spoon Cream Cheese mixture on top of cookie dough
- Sprinkle Caramel Bits on top of Cream Cheese Mixture
- Drop teaspoon size scoops of chocolate chip cookie dough on top of cream cheese mixture
- Bake at 350F Degrees for 30-35 minutes. Or until center is set. Test by poking a toothpick into center. Toothpick should come out clean.
- Allow bars to fully cool before slicing into bars
- Store cooled bars in a sealed container in refrigerator
- Store: Stored cooled cookies in an airtight container or ZipLock bag and keep refrigerated. Cookies will stay fresh for up to 7 days but best if enjoyed within 3-4 days.
- Freeze: Store cookies in a Ziploc bag or freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Place a piece of parchment paper or plastic wrap between each cookie to prevent them from sticking together.
All nutrition values are approximate and calculated by a plugin and are provided as a courtesy. Adding or subtracting ingredients will change the nutritional value.