Gideon’s is a small bakery at Disney Springs in Orlando, Florida that is themed beautifully and serves up gourmet cookies, specials of the month and they even serve the tallest slices of cake too.
Oh my, there isn’t a bad choice when you go to Gideon’s. That is unless you only purchase 1 cookie. Trust me here, if you are ever in Disney Springs at Walt Disney World stop by. The wait to get in is typically long but so worth the wait.
The staple pillar cookie served is their Chocolate Chip Cookie. Weighing in at almost ½ pound, This is a cookie to enjoy some now and even save a little for later. And don’t forget a good tall glass of milk either.
What makes Gideons Cookies stand out? The size, but also the quality ingredients used to balance the cookie dough flavors.
Shopping List for Gideon’s Bakehouse Chocolate Chip Cookies
Aside from the typical cupboard ingredients that everyone has on hand you will need butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, flour, eggs, cornstarch and of course chocolate chips.
I love and prefer using Dixie Crystals sugars as they are fresh and excellent quality. Choosing a quality chocolate chip is a must. For this recipe I do recommend a semi sweet chocolate chip.
Gideon Chocolate Chip Cookies are covered in chocolate chip morsels, every last inch of these decant cookies. They are a dessert all by themselves. So indulge yourself and share with others as you make these one of a kind cookies.
Cream together cold butter and sugars gradually adding eggs and allowing ingredients to whip together. Mix in vanilla extract.
In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients of baking soda, cornstarch, salt, and flours and mix together. Gradually add flour mixture to creamed butter and egg mixture.
Hand stir in chocolate chips and form cookies into 8 balls making sure each is the same size and shape. Then carefully press remaining chocolate chips into each cookie dough ball leaving the bottom clean from chips.
Allow cookie dough to chill before baking. Bake cookies on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Allow cookies to cool for a few minutes before moving to cooling rack.
Each month Gideon’s Bakehouse will have a special flavor. When I visited Lemon Poppy Seed was the Flavor of the month. So make sure to try the specialty flavor when you have a chance, they won’t disappoint.
Did you know that Gideon’s also sells small Bites size cookies too? They are equally delicious should you choose to stop by the bakery. The good news is you can also make Bite Size at home.
Weighing and Measuring Ingredients
I strongly suggest that all ingredients be weighed. This is a crazy fun recipe and it works because the right combination of ingredients are used. It's important to follow the directions and use cold butter over room temperature butter. Trust me.
By weighing the ingredients you are insuring that the proper portions are being used for best results. And I know you want to get the same delicious results that I have.
|All Purpose Flour||1 Cup||4½ Ounces||120 Grams|
|Bread Flour||1 Cup||4½ Ounces||120 Grams|
|Granulated Sugar||1 Cup||7 Ounces||200 Grams|
|Brown Sugar||1 Cup||7½ Ounces||213 Grams|
|Confectionary Sugar||1 Cup||4 Ounces||113 Grams|
Baking is a science and it's important to understand a little bit of that science. Taking the time to whip the fats with the sugars helps introduce air into the ingredients which lightens the cookies.
These cookies remain tall and thick, which is why we are using cold butter and the combination of allowing the dough to chill in the refrigerator before baking.
Using the combination of Cake Flour and Bread Flour also gives the final touch needed for these decadent cookies.
Cookies and Ice Cream
Each day when hot cookies are just out of the oven Gideon's in Disney Springs will sell cookies with a scoop of creamy Vanilla Ice Cream.
Let me tell you, it was about impossible to snap this quick photo before we all dove in to enjoy this delicious cookie and Ice Cream.
How to Store:
Store cooled cookies in sealed container for up to a week. Best if enjoyed within 2-3 Days. Freeze Cookies for up to 3 months.
More Gideon's Bakehouse Recipes
- Gideon's Bakehouse Frankenstein Cookies Copycat Recipe
- Bride of Frankenstein Cookies Gideon's Bakehouse copycat recipe
- Gideon's Bakehouse Coffee Cake Cookies copycat recipe
Gideons Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 Cup Butter Softened
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar 213g
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar 100g
- 2 Eggs Large
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ Cup Cake Flour 180g
- 1 ½ Cup Bread Flour 180g
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 6 Cups Chocolate Chip Semi Sweet
- ½ teaspoon Coarse Sea Salt Garnish
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees
- Cream together cold butter and sugars gradually adding eggs and allowing ingredients to whip together
- Mix in vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients of baking soda, cornstarch, salt, and flours and mix together.
- Gradually add flour mixture to creamed butter and egg mixture.
- Hand stir 2 cups of chocolate chips into cookie dough
- Form cookies into 8 balls making sure each is the same size and shape.
- Carefully press remaining chocolate chips into each cookie dough ball leaving the bottom clean from chips. Chips on the bottom tend to burn.
- Allow cookie dough to chill for up to 30 minutes before baking. This helps to create a nice full cookie.
- Bake cookies at 400 degrees on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper for 10-14 minutes
- Cookies are done when edges turn golden brown. The center will be set with a very light golden color.
- Garnish Hot Cookies with a sprinkle of course sea salt.
- Allow cookies to cool for a few minutes before moving to cooling rack.
- Store Cookies in sealed container for up to 1 week. Best if enjoyed within 2-3 days.
- Freeze: Cookies can be frozen for up to 3 months
All nutrition values are approximate and calculated by a plugin and are provided as a courtesy. Adding or subtracting ingredients will change the nutritional value.