I've always loved a Chocolate Mint Grasshopper Cookie from the time I was a Girl Scout selling their famous cookies. But making them at home has been a game changer. I've dressed up this chocolate mint cookie recipe with Andes Mints and a tuft of mint frosting.
Get ready to rock your world when you take a bite a perfect balance of mint and rich chocolate in every bite. Dare I say that I'm in Love? Mmmm, I may have enjoyed recipe testing this cookie recipe a bit too much.
An easy chocolate base cookie made with a cake mix. Gives a soft and chewy texture cookie with a little crisp on the outside. Topped with a chocolate ganache and a bright fun mint frosting.
Don't forget to garnish with a few Andes Mints making these Grasshopper Cookie Recipes a true family favorite.
These cookies are similar to Andes Mint Cookies but have their own flare if you ask me. Such a fun cookie.
Cookies. Devil's Food Cake Mix, Vegetable Oil, Eggs, and Mint Extract
Ganache. Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips and Heavy Whipping Cream
Frosting. Butter, Coconut Oil, Mint Extract, Heavy Whipping Cream and Powdered Sugar (green food coloring optional)
Garnish. Andes Mints
How to make Grasshopper Cookies
In a large mixing bowl using a hand mixer or using a stand mixer add cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil and mix to combine ingredients. Cookie dough will be a thick sticky dough that will hold its shape.
I prefer to use a cookie scoop for the uniform size cookies it makes. You can spray the cookie scoop with baking spray to help the cookie dough release from the scoop more easily if you prefer.
Place cookie dough scoops 2 inches apart on a well greased baking sheet, or line cookie sheet with parchment paper. A baking mat can also be used.
Bake in a preheated oven to 350 degrees. Allow cookies to cool on cookie sheet for a minute before moving to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Making Chocolate Ganache
Ganache is really simple to make, combine chocolate and heavy cream in a bowl. Microwave for about 30 seconds. Then stir, stir, stir.
The heat will melt the chips and will combine with the cream. You can add more cream to thin ganache if desired.
It's important to note, you do not want to overheat the chocolate mixture or it will burn and will not mix together. Heat in little short increments for best results.
Spread a tablespoon of ganache on each cooled cookie.
How to make Mint Frosting
In a large bowl combine butter and coconut oil and cream together until light and fluffy. Always scrape down sides of bowl as needed to allow ingredients to fully cream together.
Gradually add Powdered Sugar and mix to combine. Frosting mixture will be extremely thick. To thin frosting to desired consistency add Mint Extract and mix together.
Then slowly add heavy cream, adding only a little at a time until desired consistency is reached. Frosting should hold it's shape well and be a little sticky.
Place frosting into a piping bag with a star tip. You can also snip corner of bag without a tip too. Pipe a small dollop on top of ganache and garnish with Andes Mint Pieces.
There is always room for substitutions, right? Well let me help you with a few!
Cake Mix. Any chocolate cake mix can be substituted but I do prefer the results with a Devil's Food Cake Mix
Extract. Mint Extract is ideal, but in a pinch use Peppermint Extract.
Mints. Of course Andes Mints are a solid choice but using a mint chocolate chip works well too.
Pro Baking Tips
Baking Sheets. This recipe was tested using a silver baking sheet. For dark metal pans reduce time by 1 minute for best results. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, silicone mat or use baking spray.
Piping Bags. I find it quick and easy to use a piping bag with the corner snipped off when filling this recipe for red velvet cookie sandwiches. You can use a knife and spread a thick layer of creamy frosting on each cookie too.
Baking Time. Cookies are done with edges are set and center is no longer glossy. An over baked cookie will be dry and hard.
Cookie Scoop. I have used a small size #100 cookie scoop. This will make a smaller 2 bite cookie. A medium size #24 cookie scoop also works well.
Storing and Freezing
Store cookies in a sealed container for up to 1 week. Cookies are best if enjoyed within 2-3 days.
Freeze cookies in a sealed container for up to 3 months.
More about Grasshopper Cookies Recipe
Now that I've shared with you all the tips and tricks to making a soft and chewy cookie recipe let me also share a few personal touches.
Grasshopper Cookies are wonderful for St. Patricks Day and they are also a favorite around the Christmas Holiday too. You can find all of my Christmas Cookies here.
Mint is a strong flavor and pairs nicely with chocolate or even dark chocolate. So feel free to change it up a bit.
The brightly colored frosting really ads a nice touch to the presentation of these delicious cookies. I would always recommend taking the extra time to adding it on top with the Andes Mint as a garnish.
Make sure to sprinkle the chopped Andes Mints quickly after adding frosting. The sticky frosting will hold onto the mint pieces nicely.
- 1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 2 Eggs Large
- ⅓ Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mint Extract
- ½ Cup Butter Softened
- ½ Cup Coconut Oil
- 4 Cup Powdered Sugar 500g
- ¼ Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 teaspoon Mint Extract
- Green Food Coloring optional
- 1 cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- ⅔ Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- ½ Cup Andes Mints Chopped
- In a large mixing bowl using a hand mixer or using a stand mixer add cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil and mix to combine ingredients.
- Scoop Cookie dough using a small cookie scoop
- Place cookie dough scoops 2 inches apart on a well greased baking sheet, or line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Bake in a preheated oven to 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes
- Allow cookies to set on baking sheet for 1 minute before moving to a cooling rack to cool completely
- In a bowl combine chocolate chips and heavy cream. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds
- Stir mixture until smooth. If additional time is needed to heat mixture, heat for 10 seconds and stir.
- Combine Butter and Coconut Oil in bowl and cream together. Scrape sides of bowl as needed to fully mix ingredients.
- Gradually add Powdered Sugar and mix until smooth. Mixture will be very thick
- Add mint extract and combine. Then slowly add whipping cream a little at a time until desired consistency is reached. Mixture will be very stiff and a little sticky.
How to put Grasshopper Cookies together
- Dip top of cooled cookie into ganache or spread 1 tablespoon ganache on each cookie and allow to set.
- Place frosting into a piping bag with a star tip or snip off corner of bag and pipe onto top of each cookie. When using a star tip I like to create a dollop by starting in center of cookie and pressing frosting then pulling up on frosting bag and releasing pressure to create a tuft of frosting
- Garnish with chopped Andes Mints