Peeps Cookie Nests are super fun Easter cookies that are full of color and, more importantly, candy! Made with a soft and tasty sugar vanilla cookie base topped with colorful frosting that’s filled with Jelly Beans eggs to make a fun tasty Easter Cookie Recipe.
These Nest Peeps Cookies are so adorable and colorful, they’re the perfect Easter treats for kids! Inspired by the Betty Crocker Peeps Nest Cookies
With a green, soft, and chewy cookie base, these cookies are decorated with vibrant green frosting, colorful Jelly Beans, and topped with a Peeps Chick Marshmallow.
Kids will love making their cookies, frosting their chicks' nests, and choosing their favorite colors of Jelly Beans and Peeps chicks.
These super sweet treats are fantastic for Easter as well as baby showers and kids’ birthday parties!
They would also look super cute displayed in a Peeps Cookie Coop!
Wet Ingredients. Butter, Vanilla Extract, Vegetable Oil, Egg, Food Coloring, Cream Cheese, Milk
Dry Ingredients. All Purpose Flour, Granulated Sugar, Powdered Sugar, Baking Soda, Cream of Tartar, Salt
Candy. Jelly Beans, Peeps Chicks Marshmallows (Assorted Colors)
How to Make Peeps Nest Cookies
Preheat your oven to 350 F Degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use silicone baking mat so that the cookies don’t stick after baking.
In a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, or in the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, cream together the Butter and Granulated Sugar. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed to ensure you’re using all the ingredients. Mixture will be light and fluffy.
Mix in the Large Egg and Vanilla Extract before adding the Vegetable Oil and Powdered Sugar. Then continue to cream together for an additional 2-3 minutes.
(Optional) Add some Green Food Coloring to the mix and stir until the cookie dough is one consistent color.
Gradually add the remaining dry ingredients until everything is combined.
Scoop the cookie dough into dough balls using a small size #50 Cookie Scoop.
Roll each cookie dough ball in Granulated Sugar.
Place the coated cookie dough balls on the baking sheet at least 2 inches apart to allow for spreading.
Bake the cookies for 7-9 minutes. Bake until the edges are set. Do not over-bake.
Allow cookies to cool for a minute or two before moving them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
In a separate bowl, combine the softened Cream Cheese and softened Butter.
Add the Powdered Sugar and Vanilla Extract to the cream cheese mixture and mix until smooth. The mixture will be very thick.
Gradually add milk a little at a time until desired consistency is reached.
Add some Green Food Color and combine. Add in more food color if you need to to get a more vibrant shade of green.
Put the frosting into a piping bag with star tip, or snip corner of the bag.
Pipe a circle around the edge of the cookie, leaving the center open, to make a ‘nest.’ Pipe a small dollop of frosting into the center of the cookie as well.
Fill the frosting circle with 3-5 Jelly Beans.
Top each ‘nest’ with Peep Chick marshmallow treat.
Store the cookies in a sealed container for up to a week. They are best if enjoyed within 2-3 days.
Storage & Freezing
Storage: Store these cookies in an airtight container for up to 7 days. Cookies are best if enjoyed within 2-3 days.
Freezing: You can freeze the cookie bases in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Place parchment paper between each cookie to prevent sticking. Simply defrost on the counter, make the frosting, and assemble the nests fresh before serving.
Substitutions & Variations
- Marshmallows. You can use the Peeps bunny marshmallows instead of the chicks if you prefer.
- Cocoa Powder. Use some cocoa powder instead of food coloring in the cookie base or the frosting to make it look like a bird’s nest and to add some chocolate flavor.
- Colors. Use any color of marshmallow animal or food coloring in the cookies or frosting for a baby shower, or a kid’s party!
- Chips. Add some white chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, or peanut butter chips to the cookie dough for even more candy and sweetness!
What makes a good cookie? Does it have a soft center and crispy edges, and is it chewy? Each of these makes a great quality cookie. To make perfect cookies every time here are some pro tips.
To find out more, check out my Pro Tips Guide for making the best cookies every time!
Room Temperature Ingredients.
Softened butter and a room temperature egg are a must when baking.
Baking is a science and adding too much or too little of any of the ingredients will alter the recipe. Weighing and measuring dry ingredients properly makes a world of difference. Investing in a kitchen scale is ideal. When a kitchen scale is not available, make sure to stir and lift ingredients before scooping them into a measuring cup.
|All Purpose Flour||1 Cup||4½ Ounces||120 Grams|
|Bread Flour||1 Cup||4½ Ounces||120 Grams|
|Granulated Sugar||1 Cup||7 Ounces||200 Grams|
|Brown Sugar||1 Cup||7½ Ounces||213 Grams|
|Confectionary Sugar||1 Cup||4 Ounces||113 Grams|
Using a cookie scoop keeps each ball of cookie dough the same size, which is essential for baking. Use small size #60 cookie scoop for this recipe.
A preheated oven is best for baking a chewy, soft cookie.
Every oven heats a little differently. I recommend doing a test batch of 1-3 cookies to test the baking time for a perfectly baked cookie before baking the remaining dough.
Chilling the dough is not necessary with this recipe.
- Kitchen Scale. I use this for accuracy in measuring and it's a lifesaver when it comes to consistent baking
- Wire Rack for cooling cookies. I like to have at least 2 cooling racks
- Mixing Bowls. A Large Mixing Bowl for mixing ingredients and small and medium mixing bowls for other ingredients
- Cookie Sheet. Most recipes will take 2 batches to bake. It's great to have multiple baking sheets available
- Parchment Paper or Silicone Baking Mat. Line the Cookie Sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup and to prevent sticking.
- Cookie Scoop. A small #60 Cookie Scoop or a Medium Cookie Scoop #50 are great choices for uniform drops of cookie dough.
- Storage Container. An Airtight Container to store cookies or a Ziploc Bag works great too.
- Additional supplies. Measuring Cups and Measuring Spoons along with a silicone spatula are all helpful.
Have you tried this Peeps Nest Cookies recipe?
Let me know what you thought of this recipe! Tag @bestcookierecipes on social media so I can see how great your cookies turned out! I would also love to read your comments below. Let me know what you think of these cookies. It really does help!
More Easter Cookies Recipes
- Lucky Charms Cookies
- Spring Flower Cookies
- Funfetti Cookie Sandwiches
- Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Unicorn Cookies
- Church Window Cookies
- Birds Nest Cookies
Peeps Nest Cookies
- ½ cup Butter Softened
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar 100g
- ¼ cup Vegetable Oil
- ½ cup Powdered Sugar 65g
- 1 Egg Large
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour 240g
- ⅓ cup Granulated Sugar for rolling cookie dough
- 1 cup Jelly Beans about 72 Jelly Beans
- Green Food Color optional
- Peeps Chicks Marshmallows Assorted Colors
- 5 ounces Cream Cheese
- 2 tablespoons Butter Softened
- 3 cups Powdered Sugar 390g
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1-3 tablespoons Milk
- Green Food Color
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F Degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use silicone baking mat so that the cookies don’t stick after baking.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together butter and granulated sugar. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Mixture will be light and fluffy.
- Mix in egg and vanilla extract before adding vegetable oil and powdered sugar. Then continue to cream together for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually add the remaining dry ingredients until combined.
- Optional - Add Green Food Color to the cookie dough and stir until the cookie dough is one consistent color.
- Scoop cookie dough using a small size #50 Cookie Scoop.
- Roll cookie dough in granulated sugar and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone mat at least 2 inches apart to allow for spreading.
- Bake cookies for 7-9 minutes. Bake until edges are set. Do not over bake.
- Allow cookies to cool for a minute or two before moving to cooling rack to cool completely.
- In a bowl combine softened Cream Cheese and Softened Butter.
- Add Powdered Sugar and Vanilla Extract to cream cheese mixture and mix until smooth. Mixture will be very thick.
- Gradually add milk a little at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Add Green Food Color and combine.
- Place frosting into a piping bag with star tip or snip corner of bag
- Pipe a circle in the center of the cookie leaving center open.
- Fill center of cookie with 3-5 Jelly Beans and top each nest with Peep Chick marshmallow treat
- Store in a sealed container for up to a week. Best if enjoyed within 2-3 days. Cookies can be frozen up to 3 months.
- Store: Store these cookies in an airtight container for up to 7 days. Cookies are best if enjoyed within 2-3 days.
- Freeze: You can freeze the cookie bases in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Place parchment paper between each cookie to prevent sticking. Simply defrost on the counter, make the frosting, and assemble the nests fresh before serving.
All nutrition values are approximate and calculated by a plugin and are provided as a courtesy. Adding or subtracting ingredients will change the nutritional value.