Where do I begin with Twix Cookies Recipe? A delicious cookie base topped with creamy caramel and a rich chocolate coating on top. The layers of ingredients are fantastic with every bit. Add a tall glass of cold milk and you are set to enjoy one of my favorite candy bar cookie recipes.
Believe it or not at 8 years old I fell in love with a new candy bar called Twix, yes that dates me just a little bit. A shortbread cookie topped with caramel and wrapped in a chocolate coating.
I would carefully bite off the chocolate and caramel leaving a delicious cookie and I'd savor every bite. Forty plus years later, and it's still my go to candy bar.
Maybe it's because this candy bar comes with 2 long sticks and I feel like I get more for my money. Maybe it's because there is always a stick to share with a friend. Or maybe it's because it's just the BEST candy bar and for good reason.
This is my version of a Twix Cookie Recipe, a perfectly baked sugar cookie base with crinkle edges that will burst in your mouth, topped with a thick and chewy caramel swirl on top. And don't forget a smooth and creamy layer of chocolate.
Mmmm, my mouth is watering just telling you all about it. So let's dive in and I'll share my tips.
Fats. Butter, Vegetable Oil and Coconut Oil
Dry Ingredients. Granulated Sugar, Powdered Sugar, Baking Soda, Cream of Tartar, Salt and All Purpose Flour.
Diary. Milk and Whipping Cream
Other. Eggs and wrapped caramels
Pro Baking Tips
Room Temperature. Allow butter and eggs to come to room temperature by sitting on counter for 1 hour prior to mixing ingredients.
Baking Pans. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray. I use a silver Cookie Sheet.
Measuring Ingredients. When possible weigh ingredients for best and most uniform results. A kitchen scale is very helpful when weighing ingredients.
Oven Temperature. Preheat the Oven to 350 Degrees.
How to make Twix Caramel Center Cookies
Making Twix Cookies is really pretty easy. Just follow along with my steps for a delicious candy bar cookie you will love.
Allow butter and eggs to come to room temperature by sitting on counter for 1 hour. Butter is properly softened when you can press a finger into the butter and it gives resistance back. Butter that you can push your finger through has turned mushy and is too soft to cream for cookies.
In a mixing bowl using a hand mixer or in a stand mixer cream butter, Coconut Oil and granulated sugar together for 2-3 minutes. It's important to scrape down sides of bowl multiple times during the creaming process.
As mixture turns a light yellow color, it will also begin to look light and fluffy. Air pockets are being trapped in the butter mixture which will result in a light and airy cookie.
Add egg and continue creaming together for at least another minute. Making sure all of the egg is combined with the butter mixture.
Gradually add vegetable oil and powdered sugar. Remember to scrape down sides and bottom of bowl as needed to ensure all ingredients are completely combined. Allow mixture to cream for 2-3 more minutes.
Mix milk into butter mixture and cream. Mixture will be light and fluffy
In a separate bowl combine all purpose flour, cream of tartar and baking soda and salt and gradually add dry ingredients to butter mixture until fully combined.
Using a medium cookie scoop place cookie dough scoops on baking sheet allowing 3+ inches between cookies. I will stack 2 scoops of dough on top of each other making a larger cookie. Or use 1 scoop for a smaller cookie when baked.
Using the bottom of a glass, or the bottom of a measuring cup, gently press cookie dough balls and flatten. The edges of the cookies will become pressed and crack. Dip bottom of glass in sugar to prevent from sticking to cookie dough.
Bake cookies. Cookies are done baking when edges are set and center is solid. Cookies will only slightly turn golden around the edges.
Allow cookies to cool on cookie sheet for just a few minutes before moving to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Caramel and Chocolate Sauce
In a microwave safe bowl combine unwrapped caramels and whipping cream. Heat for 30 seconds and then stir ingredients. Add an additional 30 seconds in Microwave and then stir. If additional time is needed use 15 seconds and stir until caramels are smooth.
In a separate bowl combine Chocolate Chips and remaining whipping cream. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds and then stir ingredients together. Heat for an additional 30 seconds and then stir and stir. If additional time is needed heat for 15 seconds and stir and continue until smooth.
Top each cooled cookie with thick caramel forming a caramel layer. Allow caramel layer to briefly set up before adding chocolate on top.
Gently smooth a layer of melted chocolate on top of sugar cookie and allow mixture to cool. As the chocolate cools it will harden.
Caramel. Use Caramel Bits which are the tiny round ball like pieces of caramel. Or my favorite, wrapped caramels. It's a little more work to unwrap the caramels but I find it gives the best flavor when melted.
Chocolate. Semi Sweet or Milk Chocolate. Both are delicious, but only you know the flavor you most prefer.
Twix Candy Bars
Twix Candy Bars first came out in 1979 in the United States, a product from Mars Inc, consisting of a shortbread cookie topped with thick and rich layer of caramel topped with chocolate. But did you know it was first launched in 1967 in the United Kingdom. Twix was called raider in the United Kingdom and across Europe.
Eventually its name was changed to be more consistent with it's international name.
Making a homemade Twix Bar or Twix Cookie Recipe is so simple, but the efforts are worth so much more.
- 1 Cup Butter
- ½ Cup Vegetable Oil
- ¼ Cup Coconut Oil
- 1 ¼ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ¾ Cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Milk
- 2 Eggs Large
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- 5 ¼ Cup All Purpose Flour
Caramel and Chocolate Topping
- 1 ½ Cup Whipping Cream Divided
- 11 ounces Caramel Bits or wrapped caramel
- 1 Cup Milk Chocolate Chips
- Cream butter, Coconut Oil together and granulated sugar. Scraping down sides of bowl often. Cream for 2-3 minutes.
- Add Eggs and continue to cream until fully combined.
- Gradually add vegetable oil and powdered sugar. Continue to scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Cream for 2-3 more minutes
- Mix milk into butter mixture and cream. Mixture will be light and fluffy
- In a separate bowl combine all purpose flour, cream of tartar and baking soda and salt and gradually add dry ingredients to butter mixture until fully combined.
- Using a medium cookie scoop place cookie dough scoops on baking sheet allowing 3+ inches between cookies. Stack 2 scoops of dough for each cookie.
- Using the bottom of a glass, or the bottom of a measuring cup, gently press cookie dough balls and flatten. The edges of the cookies will become pressed and crack. Dip bottom of glass in sugar to prevent from sticking to cookie dough.
- Bake cookies in a preheated 350 degree oven for 8-9 minutes. Cookies are done baking when edges are set and center is solid. Cookies will only slightly turn golden around the edges.
- Allow cookies to cool on pan for 5 minutes before moving to cooling rack to cool completely.
Caramel and Chocolate
- In a separate bowl combine wrapped caramel or caramel bits and ½ cup whipping cream. Microwave bowl for 30 seconds and then stir ingredients together. Heat for an additional 30 seconds and then stir. If additional time is needed to melt ingredients heat for 15 seconds and then stir, repeating as needed
- In a separate bowl combine chocolate chips and 1 cup whipping cream. Microwave bowl for 30 seconds and then stir ingredients together. Heat for an additional 30 seconds and then stir. If additional time is needed to melt ingredients heat for 15 seconds and then stir, repeating as needed
- Place 1-2 tablespoons Caramel on each cookie and using the back of a spook spread over cookie to edges. Allow caramel to cool and set
- Top each cookie with 1-2 tablespoons chocolate ganache on top of cooled caramel. Use back of spoon to spread chocolate over caramel leaving some of the caramel showing.
- Allow ganache to cool and set.