Chocolate Oreo Cakesters are soft sandwich cookies made with a rich chocolatey cake box mix. They are super easy to make and ready in less than 25 minutes. This classic sweet treat recipe will become a family favorite for sure!
Oreo Cakesters are a delicious twist on the classic Oreo cookie. You will be able to find a snack pack of Oreo Cakesters in your local grocery store—they're such a great idea!
While I love sandwich cookies, I have found that the store-bought Oreo Cakesters don't have the best chocolatey flavor that I'd expect. There's a bit of an artificial flavor to them that doesn't quite hit the spot for me.
I've seen a lot of recipes for Oreo Cakesters. I've been looking for one that is delicious and also super easy to make, after all, convenient snacks should be convenient to make!
When I discovered that you can make these Oreo Cakester soft snack cakes with a box cake mix, I was over the moon!
With this easy recipe, you can have America's favorite Oreo chocolate sandwich cookie taste anytime you want! These snack treats are so easy to make, they'll become a regular go-to when you're craving something sweet.
These Oreo Cakester soft snack cakes will make a great addition to dessert tables or party tables filled with tasty sweet snacks!
They make great after-school snacks, served with a glass of milk, or office snacks with your afternoon cup of coffee!
For more delicious easy box cake cookie recipes, check out my Red Velvet Box Mix Sandwich Cookies, these Cream Cheese Cake Mix Cookies, and my amazing Brownie Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Wet Ingredients. Eggs, Vegetable Oil, Cream Cheese, Butter, Vanilla Extract, Milk
Dry Ingredients. Devil's Food Cake Mix, Powdered Sugar
How to Make Oreo Cakester Soft Snack Cakes
Make the Cookies
Using a large bowl and a hand mixer or a stand mixer, combine the box of Cake Mix, Eggs, and Vegetable Oil. Mix on low speed until the ingredients are completely combined. Gradually increase the speed until a thick batter forms.
Once mixed together, the cookie dough will be sticky. You can choose to chill cookie dough for 20-30 minutes in the refrigerator at this point.
Chilled cookie dough will bake up thicker.
Scoop out cookie dough balls using a small cookie scoop #60, and place them onto a prepared baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
Leave at least 2 inches between the cookie dough balls to allow space for the cookies to spread. Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes, checking them at least at the 8-minute mark.
Cookies will be done when the edges turn a very light golden color and the centers are set. Do not overbake the cookies.
Allow your cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a couple of minutes before moving them to a wire rack to completely cool.
Make the Oreo Cakesters Creme
In a separate mixing bowl, mix together the softened Cream Cheese, Butter, and Vanilla Extract until smooth.
Add Powdered Sugar until you have the right consistency. The filling should be thick. However, if it becomes too thick, just add a little bit of milk to thin it again. Only add a tablespoon at a time.
Assemble Cookie Sandwiches
Add frosting to the underside of half of the cookies.
Add an additional cookie on top of the frosting, facing up, to make a cookie sandwich.
Storage & Freezing
Storage: Store these chocolate-flavored snack cakes once they have completely cooled in an airtight container for up to 7 days. These cookies are best if enjoyed within 2-3 days.
Freezing: Cookies can be stored in a sealed container and frozen for up to 3 months. Place parchment paper between each cookie to prevent sticking.
Substitutions & Variations
- Milk. Full fat milk will give you the creamiest flavor, but you can use nonfat milk or dairy-free milk if you prefer.
- Oil. You can use canola oil or coconut oil instead of vegetable oil if you prefer.
- Cake Mix. Try this recipe with different cake mixes for different flavors if you wish! Cake mixes that work well as sandwich cookies are Red Velvet Cake Mix, Spice Cake Mix, and a Funfetti Cake Mix.
What makes a good cookie? Does it have a soft center and crispy edges, and is it chewy? Each of these makes a great quality cookie. To make perfect cookies every time here are some pro tips.
To find out more, check out my Pro Tips Guide for making the best cookies every time!
Baking is a science and adding too much or too little of any of the ingredients will alter the recipe. Weighing and measuring dry ingredients properly makes a world of difference. Investing in a kitchen scale is ideal. When a kitchen scale is not available, make sure to stir and lift ingredients before scooping them into a measuring cup.
|All Purpose Flour||1 Cup||4½ Ounces||120 Grams|
|Bread Flour||1 Cup||4½ Ounces||120 Grams|
|Granulated Sugar||1 Cup||7 Ounces||200 Grams|
|Brown Sugar||1 Cup||7½ Ounces||213 Grams|
|Confectionary Sugar||1 Cup||8 Ounces||130 Grams|
Using a cookie scoop keeps each ball of cookie dough the same size, which is essential for baking. I have used a medium cookie scoop in these photos.
You can use an ungreased cookie sheet if you prefer. I like to use Parchment Paper to line baking sheets or a Silicone Mat for easy cleanup.
Every oven heats a little differently. I recommend doing a test batch of 1-3 cookies to test the baking time for a perfectly baked cookie before baking the remaining dough.
Cookies are perfectly baked when the edges are set and the centers are no longer glossy.
Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a minute or two before moving them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Kitchen Scale. I use this for accuracy in measuring and it's a lifesaver when it comes to consistent baking
- Wire Rack for cooling cookies. I like to have at least 2 cooling racks
- Mixing Bowls. A Large Mixing Bowl for mixing ingredients and small and medium mixing bowls for other ingredients
- Cookie Sheet. Most recipes will take 2 batches to bake. It's great to have multiple baking sheets available
- Parchment Paper or Silicone Baking Mat. Line the Cookie Sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup and to prevent sticking.
- Cookie Scoop. A small #60 Cookie Scoop or a Medium Cookie Scoop #50 are great choices for uniform drops of cookie dough.
- Storage Container. An Airtight Container to store cookies or a Ziploc Bag works great too.
- Additional supplies. Measuring Cups and Measuring Spoons along with a silicone spatula are all helpful.
Have you tried this Oreo Cakester recipe?
Let me know what you thought of this recipe! Tag @bestcookierecipes on social media so I can see how great your cookies turned out! I would also love to read your comments below. Let me know what you think of these cookies. It really does help!
More Easy Cake Mix Cookie Recipes
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Hot Cocoa Chocolate Cookies
- Christmas Ornament Sandwich Cookies
- Red Velvet & White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Harry Potter Butterbeer Cookies
- 1 Box Devils Food Cake Mix
- 2 Eggs Large
- ⅓ cup Vegetable Oil
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese Softened
- 3 tablespoons Butter Softened
- 2 ½ cups Powdered Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2-4 tablespoons of Milk
Make the Cookies
- Preheat Oven to 350 F Degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine the Cake Mix, Eggs, and Vegetable Oil. Mix on low speed until fully combined. Gradually increase the mixing speed until a thick batter forms.
- The cookie dough will be sticky. You can choose to chill cookie dough for 20-30 minutes in the refrigerator at this point. This makes the dough thicker, resulting in thicker cookies or larger, flatter cookies.
- Scoop out cookie dough balls using a medium cookie scoop, and place them onto a prepared baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Leave at least 2 inches between the cookie dough balls to allow for spreading.
- Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes in preheated 350 F Degree Oven, checking them at least at the 8-minute mark.
- Cookies will be done when the edges turn a very light golden color and the centers are set. Do not overbake the cookies.
- Allow your cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a couple of minutes before moving them to a wire rack to completely cool.
Make the Oreo Cakesters Creme
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix together the softened Cream Cheese, Butter, and Vanilla Extract until smooth.
- Add Powdered Sugar until you have the right consistency. The filling should be thick. However, if it becomes too thick, just add a little bit of milk to thin it again. Only add a tablespoon at a time.
Assemble Cookie Sandwiches
- Add frosting to the underside of each cookie and top it with an additional cookie to make a cookie sandwich.
- Store: Keep these chocolate-flavored snack cakes once they have completely cooled in an airtight container for up to 7 days. These cookies are best if enjoyed within 2-3 days.
- Freezing: Cookies can be stored in a sealed container and frozen for up to 3 months. Place parchment paper between each cookie to prevent sticking.
would these work for ice cream sandwiches?
These would be GREAT as an Ice Cream Sandwich! Enjoy them all summer long!